The following is a list of initiatives that would need to be implemented over the next year* to ensure the success of a Fuel Conservation program. These items are listed in a tentative priority order.
- Communication to the entire organization announcing the scope and company’s dedication to the project.
- MPG report to establish baseline
- Contest that encourages the drivers to drive in the most efficient manner possible at all times and the development of a sporadic E.C.M. (Electronic Control Module) download schedule. Determine Terminal manager involvement (Commitment) as the project progresses via involvement with the contests.
- No idle zone posted in terminals and yards to change behaviors.
- Develop individual presentations that support the fifteen (15) items that directly affect fuel economy and rollout in a manner that will train the drivers while not overwhelming them.
||9. Tire Pressure
||10. 5th wheel position
|3. Cruise Control
|4. Engine Brake
||12. Skip shifting
|5. Progressive shifting
||13. Air Leaks
|6. Top Govern Speed
||14. Bug Deflectors
|7. Dropping Gears
||15. Brake Adjustments
|8. Driving when upset/uncomfortable
- Develop and implement a vehicle certification process.
- Equipment Speed Reduction compared to specification.
- Develop Driver training program with the use of the following:
- Training session make use of manufacturer videos and slide presentation.
- Train & Certify driver trainers.
- Certify drivers in respective equipment.
- Use vendor developed videos and communicate throughout organization.
- Implement with new drivers as part of hiring process.
- Train poor performers.
- Reward the drivers who get results. (Praise efforts, reward results.)
- Proper Utilization of Equipment
- Develop company policy to accomplish the following whenever possible:
- Proper use of equipment, do not let seniority or favoritism play a role in vehicle assignments.
- Develop method of monitoring the proper use of equipment.
- Ensure poor MPG performance is not attributed to terrain or freight.
- Determine if more economically efficient equipment could be used.
- Driver Routing
- Develop Speed vs Cost Presentation with various manufacturers.
- MPG Product Test
- Develop Maintenance Hot line for poor performing equipment or drivers.
- Driver video created to capture the buy-in. (WIIFM)
- Write article for trade magazine to insure the following:
- Communicate Efforts
- Customer Awareness
- Regulatory Awareness
- Ease “Green Fleet” certification process
- Implement “Green Fleet” Program
- Determine criteria from State
- Determine Gap
- Develop Plan
- Implement Plan
- Think Green, Be Green
*Yes, it will take approximately a year to make a permanent change to the culture of any organization.
For more information — please contact us about our Fuel Conservation Services